Sunday, March 23, 2014

Goodbye to Chad ...

Sunrise
As unbelievable as it is, this will be my last blog update from Chad.  The last week has been a filled one in preparing to leave.  I finished teaching this past week and have prepared a few lessons for the boys while I am gone.  The girls still have some work to do in school with their mom, so I had to come up with a few projects for the boys in order to keep them occupied and to review their school year.  There are some fun activities and I plan to send some cryptic emails to the kids to solve.  Even when I am away, the kids better be prepared to write journal entries for me (our little joke).  I am making my lists and checking them off!

Movie / Community Night
Morning Walk
This last Friday night I had the opportunity to join in on community night at the YWAM base.  All the staff and students invited their families out to share a meal and watch a movie.  Nothing quite like Cool Runnings in French projected on the outside of a building with a plethora of stars above.  We also made sure to pop some popcorn (in French they call it jumping corn) and chocolate chip cookies (with chocolate chips we have been hoarding since August).  It was a wonderful time to spend with some amazing people.  The girls and I also slept at the base Friday night which was special.  We had a few other girls sleep in our room and it was like a slumber party….ahhh the memories.  In the morning I was able to help prepare breakfast and go on some walks with the kids who were still there.  It was fun to just wander around.  I was also able to help shovel a little bit more sand to fill in the floor of the dinning hall.  I enjoyed throwing Frisbees and just observing kids be kids.

Talking in Church
Today was a special Sunday.  I was able to share a little in church and the church showered me with kind words and prayers for my future.  I admit I had to work really hard to hold back the tears.  It was a very special time.  I was also reminded about how generous the people in the church are here.  They gave me money for my bus fair/road lunch.  They also brought me a beautiful dress and other gifts.  I am truly blessed to get to know them and be a part of their community.

Lunch Out
After church we had the privilege of dining out.  Now here in Sarh, restaurants are few and far between (considering I have been here a little less than 2 years and never been to one).  The food was ordered the day before (it is not possible to eat unless food is ordered in advance).  We got to eat delicious chicken, shishkabob, and fish.  It was good food and we had the added bonus of not having to do the long prep or dishes!
 
Now I am preparing for my departure.  The next few days will be busy getting last minute items checked off my list and then Wed. will be the lovely bus ride from Sarh to N'Djamena.  I will be back in the states Friday morning if all goes as planned.


River and Swimming Hole Near our House
River by the Base







Bouillie Cooking
Garden

















 

1 comment:

  1. Have a safe journey back and enjoy the last few days there. Sending lots of love!

    ReplyDelete